The Clerk's Department is
responsible for the issuance of lottery licenses to eligible organizations
within Essa Township. Applicants must be an eligible
charitable organization or a non-profit organization with charitable purposes.
Organizations must have been in operations for at least one year and
demonstrated a charitable or religious mandate throughout the year in order to
qualify. The courts have determined that the term "charitable" refers to
organizations which provide programs for the following:
- The relief of
- The advancement of
- The advancement of
- Other charitable purposes
beneficial to the community.
Examples of eligible organizations are as follows:
- Churches and their affiliated groups
- Service Clubs, e.g. Kiwanis, Kinsmen, Lions, Knights of Columbus, Optimist, etc.
- Schools; Nursery Schools, Elementary and High schools and various school organizations -- sports teams, bands etc. Note: Only one group will be licensed per school
- Museums and Galleries (excluding private facilities)
- Health and Special Needs Organizations; Heart & Stroke, Cancer Society, Hospital Foundations, etc.
- Youth Groups; Minor Sports Teams, Choirs, Scouts, Guides etc.
The following organizations ARE NOT eligible:
- Unions or employee groups
- Professional associations
- Political Parties or Action Groups
- Government Agencies or Bodies
- Business Associations
- Chamber of Commerce
- Social or Private Sport Clubs
- Adult recreational hobby or sporting teams
The types of events that
municipalities may issue lottery licenses for are:
- Bingo events with prize
boards of up to $5,500;
- Raffles with prizes of up
- Break Open Ticket events
that are not conducted in conjunction with another event, and where the tickets
are sold within the municipality;
- Bazaar gaming events;
- Media Bingo
Prior to the issuance of a
lottery license, the applicant must complete and submit the following
Please be advised that
supplementary documentation is required to be submitted with each application
prior to the approval of the municipality.
Upon expiry of the lottery
license, it is mandatory that applicants complete and submit the reporting
requirement forms to the Clerk's Department as per the conditions laid out in
the approval of the license. Future lottery licenses will not be issued if there
are outstanding reports. The following reporting forms are listed below for
**Municipal authority to
issue lottery licenses has been granted by the Order-In-Council. The Alcohol
and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO) has established the policies and manuals
for approvals. The Township of Essa is bound by these guidelines and procedures in
determining an organization's eligibility and issuance of lottery licenses.
Please visit the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario website for further
If you require
additional information please contact the Deputy Clerk.