Information for Voters - Voting in Essa Township
Voting is not only your democratic right; it is the easiest way for you to have a say in how your community is governed. When you cast your vote, you are choosing the candidate that you feel would best represent you and your community.
Election Day is Monday October 22, 2018. Eligible Electors will receive a Voter Notification Card in the mail during the month of October. This card will indicate where you are to vote on Election Day. Polls are open between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. at the location specified on your Voter Notification Card. Electors are required to bring their Voter Notification Card and valid identification for presentation to election workers. Valid Identification is a legal requirement by the Province for electors to present prior to casting their vote.
Advanced Voting Days
October 13, 2018 at the Angus Arena 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
October 17, 2018 at the Essa Adminstration Centre 12:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Eligible electors in the Township of Essa will vote to elect candidates for the following offices:
- Mayor - One to be elected at large
- Deputy Mayor - One to be elected at large
- Councillor Ward 1 (Angus) - one to be elected by eligible electors in Ward 1
- Councillor Ward 2 (Colwell, Egbert, Ivy, Thornton) - one to be elected by eligible electors in Ward 2
- Councillor Ward 3 (Baxter, Borden) - has been acclaimed, please visit the Election Candidates page for more details.
In addition, eligible electors will vote to elect School Board Trustees for the following:
- English Public District School Board (Simcoe County District School Board) - one to be elected by eligible public school electors of the municipality
- English Separate District School Board (Simcoe Muskoka Catholic District School Board) - one to be elected by eligible separate school electors of the municipality
- French Public District School Board
(Conseil scolaire Viamonde-secteur 5) - one to be elected by
eligible french public school electors of the municipality
- French Separate District School Board
(Conseil scolaire de district catholique Centre-Sud-#64 Region of Simcoe Muskoka) - one to be
elected by eligible french separate school electors of the municipality
Valid Identification for Voting Purposes
Amendments to the Municipal Elections Act in 2013 changed the
identification requirements for voting in a Municipal Election. In order
to be able to vote at a voting location, a person must have a piece of
identification with their name and signature. The Province requires all eligible electors to provide proof of identification prior to receiving a ballot. By providing identification or
swearing/affirming an oath you are helping to ensure that only qualified
electors vote and that qualified electors only vote once.
In accordance with Regulation 304/03 under the Municipal Elections Act, the following is a List of Acceptable Identification for voting purposes.
Voting by Proxy
If you are unable to vote on Advance Voting Day or on
Election Day, you may appoint a proxy. A proxy is a person who is an
eligible elector and whom you trust to vote on your behalf. To appoint a
proxy, the eligible elector must complete an Appointment of Voting Proxy Form by visiting the Clerk's Office at the Township of Essa Administration Centre. The person listed as the eligible elector's
proxy must bring the form in to the Township of Essa's Clerk’s Office,
along with proof of his or her identity, and have it certified by the Clerk. The period for appointing a proxy opens once the Clerk for the municipality has certified all nominated candidates. A proxy can represent multiple members of his/her immediate family, or, one individual who is not a member of his/her immediate family. A proxy can not represent both.
Am I eligible to vote? Is my name on the Voters' List? Which Ward do I vote in?
order to be eligible to vote, your name must be on the Voters List
(List of Electors). The List of Electors for the Township of Essa comes
from the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) late in
the summer. If you have moved or changed your address since
the last Municipal Election, be sure to contact the Township of Essa Administration Centre to have your information added/changed.
To ensure your name is on the Voter's List, you can:
- visit voterview.ca to search for your name
- Contact MPAC at 1-866-296-6722 to ensure that your name is on the voters list. MPAC can add your name, or
- Contact the Clerk's Department to add your name to the List of Eligible Voters