The Township of Essa appointed Principles Integrity to act as its Integrity Commissioner providing accountability services to the Township. The services of the Integrity Commissioner include:
- To provide advice on the application of the Council Code of Conduct, Township policies, procedures and rules, complaint protocol and Section 5 of the Municipal Conflict of Interest Act;
- To conduct inquiries regarding whether a member of Council has contravened the Code of Conduct or section 5 of the Municipal Conflict of Interest Act;
- To provide advice to members of Council, upon written request, respecting the member's obligations under the Code of Conduct, Township policies, procedures and rules, the complaint protocol and the Municipal Conflict of Interest Act;
- To provide opinions on policy matters and make other reports to Council as requested on issues of ethics and integrity;
- To provide educational information and training to members and to the public on matters related to the Council Code of Conduct, and issues of ethics and integrity and the Municipal Conflict of Interest Act;
- To provide general information to members of the public, upon request, about the Code of Conduct, the complaint protocol and the availability of complaint resolution services or referrals as contemplated by the complaint protocol;
- To maintain custody and control of the Integrity Commissioner's complaint and inquiry files and, on completion of his or her term of appointment, to transfer open files relating to ongoing matters to the incoming Integrity Commissioner appointed by Council; and
- To provide such other services respecting ethics and integrity matters as assigned by Council or as may be required under the Municipal Act, 2001.
Complaints are to be submitted directly to the Integrity Commissioner:
Jeffrey A. Abrams and Janice Atwood-Petkovksi
For additional information, please contact the Integrity Commissioner's office using the contact information provided above.
Integrity Commissioner Reports
In accordance with s. 223.6 of the Municipal Act, municipalities are required to ensure that reports received from the Integrity Commissioner are made available to the public. Please refer to the right sidebar for access to the Integrity Commissioner Reports.