Essa's Council Code of Conduct
Consistent with the Township of Essa's practice of demonstrating transparent,
accountable and ethical governance, Council of the Township of Essa adopted a Code of
Conduct for Members of Council and its Boards and Committees on December 15, 2010.
The purpose and intent of the Council Code of Conduct is to establish
standards of conduct for Members of Council, Local Boards and Committee
Members in the individual conduct of their official duties. These
standards will help protect and maintain the Township's reputation
Maintaining a high quality of public administration and governance
can be achieved in part by encouraging high standards of conduct on the
part of Township officials. The public is entitled to expect the highest
standards of conduct from members that are elected or appointed to serve
their local government.
A written Code of Conduct helps to ensure that the members of Council
share a common basis of acceptable conduct. These standards are
designed to supplement the legislative parameters within which the
members must operate. They are intended to enhance public confidence
that the Township of Essa's elected and appointed officials operate from the
basis of integrity, justice and courtesy.
The Council Code of Conduct regulates a wide range of conduct by elected and appointed officials, such as:
- improper receipt of gifts and benefits;
- improper spending
- misuse and improper securing of confidential information;
- inappropriate use of Township property, services and other resources, including using Township facilities for campaign purposes;
- misbehaviour at Council meetings;
- mistreatment of staff;
- improper use of influence;
- discreditable behaviour towards other Councillors, staff and members of the public; and,
- failing to follow Council policies.
The Code of Conduct is administered by the Township of Essa's Clerk.
It is the role of the Clerk to:
- Refer complaints to Council so that Council can arrange for an appropriate investigation of the alleged breach in conduct;
- Provide information to members as to their obligations under the Code of Conduct;
- Provide advice to individual members regarding specific situations as they relate to the Code of Conduct;
- Provide advice to members on other policies and procedures relating to the ethical behaviour of members; and
- Provide information to the Public regarding the Code of Conduct, and the obligations of members under the Code.
In accordance with recent amendments to the Municipal Act, the Township of Essa appointed Principles Integrity as the Integrity Commissioner for the Corporation of the Township of Essa, who would be responsible to investigate complaints regarding an alleged breach in the Council Code of Conduct.
Individuals can email a completed complaint form to Principles Integrity at: firstname.lastname@example.org