We will no longer be supporting IE7 and below as a web browser effective June 1st 2020. Click here for more information.

Sign In

Essa Township logo

Welcome to Essa Township

Township of Essa Administration Centre

5786 County Road 21 | Utopia, ON L0M 1T0

Phone: 705-424-9917 Fax: 705-424-2367

Office Hours: Monday through Friday 8:30 am to 4:30 pm

All Council meetings will be held electronically until further notice. Meetings will be live streamed to the Township of Essa's Youtube Channel .

Skip Navigation LinksTownship of Essa > covid19 enforcement FAQs

​​​​​​​​​​​​​COVID-19 Enforcement FAQs 

UPDATED!! COVID19 ​Response Framework - How do I know which zone the Township of Essa is in with respect to the newly released COVID-19 Response Framework?

The Province of Ontario and the Simcoe Muskoka Dist​rict Health Unit have information on their websites​ to assist residents in determining which zone and which restrictions apply to their municipality in respect of the newly released COVID-19 Response Framework.  If you are unsure which zone the Township currently falls in, or if you are unsure of the restrictions that apply to the zone, please ​click here​.  

NOTE: As of December 26, 2020, the Province is in Grey Zone.  The grey zone is the lockdown zone, which implements widescale measures and restrictions, including closures to halt or interrupt transmission.

UPDATED!! What restrictions apply​ to municipalities falling within the Grey Zone of the COVID-19 Response Framework?

The Province has outlined enhanced measures and restricti​ons that apply to municipalities falling within  each Zone.  Please click the link above for more information.

UPDATED!! Organized Public Events - How many people c​an I have in attendance at an organized public event?

Effective December 26, 2020 and in accordance with Ontario Regulation 364/20, an INDOOR organized public event is NOT permitted, except with members of your own household. Organized Outdoor Public Events are permitted to have 10 people gather, however MUST comply with public health advice on physical distancing.​ ​​  To learn more about the enhanced measures that accompany this restriction, please see the link in the previous section.

If you are not practicing social distancing, you run the risk of being charged in accordance with the fines set out in 2020-33 COVID-19 Emergency Measures-Social Distancing.

UPDATED!!​ (December 26 2020) - Can I gather with my friends or neighbours in my home?

Under the COVID-19 Response Framework, the Grey Zone does not allow for private indoor social gatherings. Individuals who live alone and single parents may consider having exclusive, close contact with one other household to help reduce the negative impacts of social isolation.

UPDATED!!​ ​Can Guests attend Wedding and Funerals?

Effective December 26, 2020 wedding and funeral ceremonies taking place indoors or outdoors are limited to 10 people and physical distancing must be maintained. 

UPDATED!!​ Will I get a fine if I have an outdoor social gathering of more than 10 people?

Yes you may.  Charges may be laid by either the OPP or the By-law Enforcement Officer for those who choose to violate Provincial Orders including having a private outdoor social gatherings of more than 10 people or any private indoor gathering which is restricted in the Grey Zone.  People found to be violating Provincial Orders may receive a ticket with a set fine of up to $10,000.00 per charge.  Officers may also lay a charge by way of a summons in which case the penalties are more severe and can range from $100,000 for individuals, $500,000 for Directors or Officers of a Corporation and up to $10,000,000 for a corporation.  Also offenders may be subject to up to one year imprisonment.​

Additionally, for persons not practicing social distancing may be fined $500.00 per occurrence under the Township's Social Distancing By-law 2020-33.

I want to have a recreational camp fire with my family, are we allowed to have a camp fire?

Yes, the Township of Essa does not currentl​y have a burn ban in place.​  However, you must have a Burn Permit. To purchase a Burn Permit please click here.​

Can we still walk through the Township parks, or can I fish at the Fishing Park?

All parks (including play structures)​, Recreation fields and greenspaces that are maintained by the municipality are open to the public.  The Don Ross Fishing Park and the Nottawasaga Fishing Park are both now open, an Access Pass is required to fish in Essa Township fishing parks.  The Thornton-Cookstown Trail and the Angus Rippon-Pine River Trail have re-opened. Please remember to continue to social distance and help us to fight Covid-19.​​

​At this time, County of Simcoe Forests re​​main open to the public​.  Please visit the County of Simcoe Website for more information about trails under their jurisdiction.

​Who can I contact if an essential business is not complying with social distancing?  

Complaints with respect to social distancing in essential businesses can be directed to the Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit at (705) 721-7520​.  

Who do I call if someone is not self-isolating after travel?

You can contact the Federal government directly at 1-866-225-0709 or the Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit at (705) 721-7520.

How do I know what businesses are permitted to be open?

The Ontario Government has issued a list of essential workplaces that are permitted to be open during the COVID-19 Pandemic.  The list of essential workplaces can be found here.​

The Province has provided the public with a breakdown of FAQs in regards to essential businesses​.  Click the link provided to access these FAQs.

I am a business owner - I have questions about the Provincial Orders for​ Essential Businesses​

Businesses with questions about the or​​der are encouraged to call the Province's toll-free Stop the Spread Business Information Line at 1-888-444-3659.​​

Who can I contact if a non-essential business is still operating when they're not supposed to be, per the Provincial Orders issued?

You can contact the OPP at 1-888-310-1122.

Who do I contact if a business is price gouging?

If you are aware that a business is price gouging you can contact the Consumer Protection Ontario Call Centre at 1-800-889-9768.​