On May 5, 2021 Council for the Township of Essa approved By-law 2021-16 Off Road Vehicles By-law permitting All-Terrain Vehicles and Off-Road Vehicles to travel on ALL municipal roads. For further details on permitted vehicles please review By-law 2021-16.
2021-16 ATV By-law
- ATVs/ORVs are permitted to travel on the shoulder of all roads under the jurisdiction of Essa Township. Riders MUST be 16 years of age (minimum) and have obtained the appropriate license through MTO (see Rider Tips below).
- ATVs/ORVs are NOT permitted on any County roads (including Mill St., Angus) or any provincially owned roads.
- ATVs/ORVs are NOT permitted to be driven on municipally owned trails, namely Pine River Trail and Rippon Trail, nor are they permitted on municipally owned green space, parks, sidewalks, walking trails, etc.
- Riders must obey and follow all rules of the road in accordance with the Highway Traffic Act and the Off-Road Vehicles Act
- ATVs/ORVs are permitted in Simcoe County forests only where an authorized permit has been obtained.
- Dirt bikes bearing a blue/white licence plate are permitted to travel on all roads, riders must obey and follow ALL rules of the road in accordance with the Highway Traffic Act (HTA)
- Dirt bikes bearing a green/white licence plate are NOT permitted on any roadways
- Dirt bikes bearing either a blue/white or a green/white licence plate are permitted to ride on trails have have been designated for such use, and only and where the rider is in possession of a valid permit
- Dirt bikes are permitted to ride on private property only where permission has been granted (written consent must be on the rider)
- Dirt bikes, regardless of licensing, are NOT permitted to be driven on sidewalks, parks, municipally owned green space, community centres, schools, conservation areas and municipally owned trails
2021-06-18 Media Release - Dirt Bikes
- Dirt bikes, ATVs and ORVs are mandated to have insurance in accordance with the Compulsory Automobile Insurance Act and the Off Road Vehicles Act
- All riders are required to wear a Department of Transportation (D.O.T) approved or equivalent helmet that complies with section 19 of the Off-Road Vehicles Act
- All riders accessing roads in the Township of Essa are required to be legally licensed and over the age of 16.
Operators should familiarize themselves with Essa's ATV By-law 2021-16 as well the By-laws in other municipalities of which they will be riding PRIOR to operating an ATV/ORV or Dirt bike within the boundaries of Essa Township or any other municipality.
Additionally, all persons who own or operate an off road vehicle are also required to adhere to provisions set out in the Off Road Vehicles Act as well as the Highway Traffic Act.
For information on Dirt bike, ATV or ORV use in Simcoe County Forest please visit www.simcoe.ca