Welcome to the Township of Essa Election information page. Municipal Elections in Ontario are held every four years and are governed by the Municipal Elections Act.
In accordance with the Municipal Elections Act, the next municipal election will be held on October 24, 2022, with the new term of office starting on November 15, 2022 and ending on November 14, 2026.
Information for Voters in Essa Township
The 2022 Municipal and School Board Election will be held on October 24, 2022. It is up to eligible residents to cast their vote on who makes key decisions for you and your community.
When can I cast my vote?
You can cast your vote on one of the following days:
- During an Advance Voting Day
- October 15, 2022 between the hours of 10:00 am to 6:00 pm at the Angus Recreation Centre
- October 22, 2022 between the hours of 10:00 am to 6:00 pm at the Administration Centre
- On Election Day, October 24, 2022 between the hours of 10:00 am to 8:00 pm ONLY at the voting location indicated on your Voter Notification Card.
Eligible voters will cast their vote on October 24, 2022 using the "first-past-the-post" electoral system. The voting method to be used in Essa Township for the upcoming 2022 Municipal and School Board Election is traditional paper ballot with a manual count.
Eligible electors will receive a Voter Notification Card by mail in September, which will provide electors with the following information:
- Dates and locations for Advance Voting Days
- Location to cast vote on Election Day
In the Township of Essa, eligible electors can vote for and elect candidates to fill the following positions every four years:
- Mayor (1)
- Deputy Mayor (1)
- Councillor (Wards 1, 2, 3) - residents/property owners only vote for a candidate to fill the Councillor position in the Ward of which they reside
- One School Board Trustee - English-Public
- One School Board Trustee - English-Separate
- One School Board Trustee - French-Public
- One School Board Trustee - French-Separate
To be eligible to case your vote in the 2022 Municipal and School Board Election, you must be:
- a Canadian citizen;
- At least 18 years of age;
- A resident, owner or tenant of the Township of Essa, or the spouse of such tenant or owner; and
- Not prohibited from voting under any law.
To vote for a particular school board, you must be a supporter of that school board. “Supporter” refers to which school board the school portion of your property taxes goes to. The default is the public school system. In order to be a Catholic School supporter you must direct your taxes to the Catholic School system. Contact the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (1-866-296-6722) for more information.
Persons prohibited from voting on voting day are those that are:
- Serving a sentence of imprisonment in a penal or correctional institution
- A corporation
- Acting as executor or trustee or in another representative capacity, except as a voting proxy
- Convicted of a corrupt practice described in section 90(3) of the Municipal Elections Act, 1996