Development & Construction

Planning & Development

You might need to submit a planning application before you start a new planning or development project in Essa.  Please book a pre-consultation meeting before you begin your project.  Review the Official Plan and Zoning By-law to make sure that your project aligns with all land use policies.

In addition to Essa's Official Plan and Zoning By-law, your project must also follow upper-tier policy documents such as the County of Simcoe Official Plan, the Provincial Policy Statement and the Growth Plan for the Greater Golden Horseshoe.

When planning any construction project, please call the Manager of Planning and Development or the Chief Building Official to determine the approvals needed. All building in the Township must be in compliance with the Official Plan, Zoning By-Law and Building By-Law.  Please visit our Planning and Development page for more information on permits that may be required.

Building & Construction

If you're planning to build or renovate on your property, you need a building permit.  Learn how to apply for a building permit and book a building inspection.

Additionally, if your property is in or near a watercourse, river, stream, pond, wetland, steep slope, floodplain or the Georgian Bay shoreline, you may need a permit from the NVCA before your start your work.  Please read Getting Your NVCA Permit before you commence your project!

Scroll to top