If you're planning to renovate or build on your property, you'll need to apply for a building permit before you begin the work. Building permits ensure that all works meet the requirements set forth in the Ontario Building Code and the Essa's Zoning By-law.
Additionally, if your property is in or near a watercourse, river, stream, pond, wetland, steep slope, floodplain or the Georgian Bay shoreline, you may need a permit from the NVCA before your start your work. Please read Getting Your NVCA Permit before you commence your project!
You will require a building permit for a variety of renovation and building projects, including the following (to name a few):
Please review the building permit application guidelines, fees and checklists for common projects
Please see our Building Permit Application Guideline page.
All inspections are booked through the Building Administrative Assistant. Inspections are booked 48 hours in advance.
You are required to provide the following information when booking your inspection:
- Building permit number
- Your address and lot number
- The type of inspection(s) that you are booking
- Your preference for the date and time for your inspection
Staff endeavors to meet preferred date(s) and time(s) for your inspection. Sometimes unforeseen circumstances require the date/time to be re-scheduled.
The Ontario Building Code has indicated that at particular stages of construction, the applicant shall give notifications for required inspections set out in Div. C Part 1 Section 220.127.116.11.(2). In the case of a single family dwelling with the required limiting distance to structures next to it the inspections could involve the following:
- Footings before concrete
- Footings and foundation – prior to backfill, includes weeping tile
- Underground water service piping (where applicable)
- Building sewer and building drains (testing required)
- Structural framing – rough-in for plumbing (testing required) and HVAC systems –roof system in place, doors and windows in place, building watertight.
- Air barrier/ vapour barrier
- Sewage system test hole
- Sewage system scarified base (if applicable)
- Sewage system – installation before backfill (if applicable)
- Occupancy – please note septic system approval required prior to occupancy