Municipal Law Enforcement Officers respond to complaints with regards to barking, dogs trespassing or running at large, and dangerous or menacing dogs.
The Township's Officers are responsible for the administration and enforcement of the Township's Canine Control By-law in addition to various Provincial Statutes.
Dog Tag License
All dogs in Essa are required to be licensed with the municipality. This allows for Canine Control to return your dog to you in the event that your dog is found running at large. To apply for your Dog Tag license, please complete and submit our online Dog License Form.
Off-Leash Dog Park
Essa has an off-leash dog park located at the Glen-Eton/Wildflower Park. Users are required to follow the Rules for use of the park.
Off-Leash Dog Park Rules:
- Off-leash Dog Park is NOT supervised. People and dogs visiting the off-leash park do so at their own risk
- Off-leash Dog Park is NOT recommended for children under the age of 18. A parent or guardian is advised to closely supervise their children at all times
- Owners will be held liable for all actions of their dog(s)
- Dogs MUST be leashed when entering and exiting the Off-leash area
- Owners must be present, with a leash for each dog, and in view of their dog(s) at all times
- Aggressive dogs are not permitted in the Off-leash area or park. Owners will be prosecuted and held liable for all damages and injuries subject to the provisions of the Dog Owners Liability Act (DOLA)
- Valid dog tag licenses and rabies tags must be affixed to the dog
- No more than three dogs per owner are permitted int eh Off-leash Park or area. Unattended dogs that are tied up outside of the Off-leash area are not permitted
- People-food, breakables, spikes or chain link prong collars are not permitted in the Off-leash area
- This park is for the enjoyment of people with their dogs. No otehr animals are allowed
- Female dogs in heat are not permitted in the Off-leash Park
- Professional dog trainers are not permitted to use the park for the conduct of business
- Gates to the Off-leash area must be kept closed at all times except when entering or exiting.
In the event of incident, please contact By-law Enforcement Officers at 705-424-9917 ext. 122.
For comments, concerns or to report damage, please call the Parks and Recreation department at 705-424-9917 ext. 135
Municipal Law Enforcement Officers look into many different types of dog service requests from residents and enforce the Township's Canine Control By-law, of which includes:
- Picking up stray or loose dogs
- Barking Dog Complaints
- Dog Feces
- Dog Bites
- Dangerous Dogs
- Dog Licenses
An Officer would be happy to assist you with any of these concerns. You can contact them at 705-424-9917 ext 122.
All dog tags expire on December 31st in each calendar year. They must be renewed each year.
You can purchase your dog tag using a variety of methods:
- Online Payment System
- Complete the online Dog Tag Form as well as the EFT Payment Form, and submit to the Administration Centre
- Complete the Dog Tag Form and visit or mail the form (with payment) to the Administration Centre
- Complete the Dog Tag Form and visit the Angus or Thornton Branch of the Essa Public Library to submit and make payment.
During Regular Business Hours
You can contact our Officers by calling 705-424-9917 ext. 122 to have our Officer pick the dog up for delivery to the Alliston and District Humane Society.
If you found a dog after regular business hours, we kindly request that you contact the Alliston and District Humane Society to surrender the dog, or hold onto the dog until the next business day so that arrangements can be made for our officers to retrieve the dog.
Alternatively, you can contact the Administration Centre at 705-424-9917 ext. 122
If you have lost your dog, our Officers may have taken it to the Alliston & District Humane Society. Please contact them directly to make arrangements for pick up and payment of any outstanding charges at:
Alliston and District Humane Society
5545 Concession 4, Adjala-Tosorontio
Phone or text 705-890-6717
All animals that are deemed stray and are in the ADHS shelter will be posted on their Facebook page with a picture, location found, and date of intake.
If your animal is not listed here please complete a post about your lost animal. Please include a picture/pictures, gender, colour, location they went missing and date they have been missing from.
If a dog attacks or menaces you, but does not break the skin
- It is not necessary to contact the Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit.
- However, the dog may still have committed a dangerous act. Call the Municipal By-law Officer and provide:
- a clear description of dog (if possible)
- dog owner’s name and address
- date, time and location where the incident occurred
- witness information, if possible.
If your pet was bitten or attacked by a dog
If your pet has been bitten or attacked by a dog, report the bite or attack to the Municipal By-law Officer as soon as possible.
If you are the owner of a dog that has bitten
- Leash your dog and isolate from causing further threats.
- Provide your contact information to the person who was bitten.
- Make clear, concise notes of the incident in your own handwriting.
- If the person’s skin has been broken, isolate your dog until contacted by Health Unit.
- If necessary, consult an expert about your dog’s behaviour.
If the dog committed a dangerous act
If it’s determined that the dog committed a dangerous act, one of the following actions will be taken:
- A written warning will be issued when the dangerous act is the first on record with the Township and the dangerous act is not found to be severe.
- A dangerous dog order will be issued when the dangerous act is found to be severe, or was the second or subsequent dangerous act on record with the Township.
- A dangerous dog order includes the following requirements:
- dog must be muzzled except when on the owner’s premises
- a warning sign must be posted on the owner’s premises
- dog is prohibited from using the Township’s off-leash dog park
- dog must be microchipped
- The Township keeps a photo of the dog on file
- dog owner must ensure the dog receives socialization/obedience training within 90 days of issuance of the order.
Township of Essa
Municipal Law Enforcement Officers ext. 122